Comments

Buddy Holly and Pete Venkman and a robot army. I love you.

posted by Kase on January 16, 2004 at 03:50 AM

well, daily scalp massages would be a small sacrifice for the privelege of warming the bed of a lady who can so stylishly sport purple argyle socks...........i do a smokin' "rave on" (but i have to look at the screen) and im sure i still have a pair of horn rimmed glasses around somewhere. seriously though a $30.00 adjustable electric convection space heater would probably prove to be more reliable and still allow you the luxury of sleeping with your pants off.

posted by captn on January 16, 2004 at 04:41 AM

And no offense, but probably an electric blanket would be a bit more realistic and would solve your problem in this lifetime. :)

posted by sharon on January 16, 2004 at 04:57 AM

well, a friend of mine is dating the assistant to madmartigan. maybe i could get her to hook you up...though she says the assistant says he doesn't bathe so often. but maybe you could convince him to join you in those warm baths. i'll get right on it.

posted by k on January 16, 2004 at 05:15 AM

madmartigan, you are great!!!!

posted by willow on January 16, 2004 at 06:51 AM

What about Chris Knight?
Or even better, Lazlo Hollyfeld?

posted by everybody wants to rule the world on January 16, 2004 at 06:54 AM

oh, and it's up, in all it's rough glory

posted by everybody wants to rule the world on January 16, 2004 at 06:55 AM

You might melt your raft mattress with an electric device.

And have you thought about Alan on Sesame Street?

There is something about him that screams "great husband".

posted by aliastaken on January 16, 2004 at 08:15 AM

ooooh....joel hodgson or george mcfly....fantastic. i would also be willing to take the voice and personality of kevin murphy (tom servo) in someone else's body. (not to offend kevin murphy....he's just all married and about 30 years older than me).

posted by neko on January 16, 2004 at 09:00 AM

George McFly nothing. Seamus is the winner of that gene pool.

posted by Orange on January 16, 2004 at 09:41 AM

Bust a Move: Best karaoke song ever.

posted by patti on January 16, 2004 at 10:58 AM

Luckily, Joel Hodgson is a real person. Except he lives in Minnesota, and it's even colder there. Drat.

posted by EV on January 16, 2004 at 11:27 AM

Modern-day astronauts aren't good enough, eh? Wankish low-Earth-orbit posers in their overpriced Space Shuttles! Back then, we used to get plucked out of the sea in a little capsule. And we LIKED it!

posted by Chris on January 16, 2004 at 11:39 AM

The fictional character is actually "Joel Robinson." Hodgson is the real guy who played him. I guess that makes me an MST3K geek.

posted by Chris on January 16, 2004 at 11:45 AM

Would you accept a modern day scientist who is also a member of the Luxuriant Flowing Hair Club for Scientists hmmm?

Surely some of them will have that earnest, open hearted, the-alien-couldn't-possibly-mean-us-harm, appearence you desire.

Word.

posted by Snark on January 16, 2004 at 12:00 PM

picky, picky.

posted by neko on January 16, 2004 at 12:01 PM

Would that be a pre-punching-Biff George McFly or a post-punching-Biff George McFly?

posted by Keith on January 16, 2004 at 12:04 PM

Don't try to change me baby.

posted by AMA on January 16, 2004 at 12:42 PM

Forget Joel. Tom Servo is where it's at.

posted by Scott-san on January 16, 2004 at 12:55 PM

I humbly submit a portrait of myself during my mad scientist / Buddy Holly phase:

Now tell me you wouldn't let me blow up your garage?

posted by Brandon on January 16, 2004 at 01:21 PM

I'm particular to Atticus Finch.

posted by fish on January 16, 2004 at 01:22 PM

do you ever get the feeling that this whole blogging thing lets you exercise thoughts that you shouldn't be thinking-- and although entertaining at the time, it might just make you feel more empty inside later?

If I had a blog, I bet it would make me feel that way.

posted by 655321 on January 16, 2004 at 01:57 PM

Ok, 655321 who are you to assume anyone feels empty inside? Are you the one who read the archives and said they made you sad? Are you the one that feels empty inside themself and just assume that everyone else feels that way? Who are you to say what people should and shouldn't be thinking? It's not like this is Sarah's "Bitches I'm Gonna Rape Today" blog. Perhaps it's time to stop what you're doing.

posted by Erin Lady Byrne on January 16, 2004 at 02:19 PM

Hey, ease up on 655321. It must be tough to feel that empty day after day--blog or no blog.

posted by Greg on January 16, 2004 at 02:32 PM

Doh! I totally knew the Robinson/Hodgson thing. And to be honest, I would rather have the real life one. I also almost put Tom Servo on that list too, but I didn't want to seem too dorky -- you know, aside from having a website where I list potential fictional mates.

posted by Sarah B. on January 16, 2004 at 02:44 PM

That whole robot army thing reminds me of the commercial for Domestibot on Grand Theft Auto Vice City...: Put your keys in the bowl and the fun will begin.

hahahaha, always makes me laugh, those suddle references to partner swappin.

posted by Port-O-Potty Picasso on January 16, 2004 at 04:45 PM

I was going to post a real comment but then I started thinking, Mmmm, Trip Fontaine...

posted by candace on January 16, 2004 at 05:43 PM

TRIP fontaine, heh. now that makes more sense.

when i first read it i was thinking VINCE fontaine, and really, i would never have thought that shiny and smarmy was your bag, regardless of how much you dig the hand jive.

posted by the mighty jimbo on January 17, 2004 at 02:37 AM

Here's my appreciation for your being into brown-eyed boys. Blue-eyed boys get all the attention, undeservedly.

Seriously. A blue-eyed boy with black hair can have anything he wants in this life.

Fuckers.

posted by Barrett on January 17, 2004 at 12:05 PM

I'm married and everything, but if I weren't, and if fictional characters were just springin' to life...Well, I'd be sitting on the glass table-top, waiting for Jake Ryan & his soulful brown eyes & birthday cake.

posted by TracyA on January 17, 2004 at 01:11 PM

Why does everyone seem vaguely oblivious to the Big Pete mention? I would absolutely do Big Pete, not to mention having spent years attempting to model myself on the bright and quirky Ellen.

posted by carole on January 17, 2004 at 04:25 PM

bust a move is my signature song at kareoke as well. it takes a special talent to belt that one out.

posted by nicole on January 18, 2004 at 02:02 PM

Big Pete was the most intense celebrity crush of my entire childhood. Hell, he still is.
god, how I loved that show. I insisted my family get IO just so I can watch the reruns.

posted by s(z)amm on January 18, 2004 at 09:09 PM

did someone actually type "suddle?"

Dear God...

posted by slap on January 19, 2004 at 08:55 AM

It was all narrow there for a minute, and then you kind of opened it up with that brown-eyed boy comment. Lucky brown-eyed boys.

posted by Heather #2 on January 19, 2004 at 01:10 PM

Charles Grodin? That Nicky Holiday?

posted by srah on January 19, 2004 at 06:04 PM

I have been singing/humming "bust a move" since I read this post. DAMN YOU TO HELL. Because this also led into 'hammer time', 'ice ice baby', and a few other such atrocities in the same genre.

p.s. i love you

posted by JenB on January 19, 2004 at 09:35 PM

I have brown eyes. But I don't think it's going to work out between us, love.

posted by Richard on January 19, 2004 at 10:20 PM

i have several robots, but have never thought to organize them into an army. is this a pre- or co-requisite?

posted by bryan on January 19, 2004 at 10:47 PM

I haven't commented here in so long, I am way behind in seeing what other people have said about recent posts. But here are some quick thoughts on a few things from the furtively-catch-up-on-QueSera.org-while-at-work break I just took:
1. Too cold to sleep... keep a hair dryer next to your bed. You get the super hot snuggling goodness but it fades so you don't wake up sweating at 3am like with an electric blanket.
2. Random hate mail... they're outnumbered by the roughly 40 people who comment here everyday and the others who read but don't comment. So on behalf of SB, Hate Mail Man, bite me.
3. ISO 40s science boys... I actually just saw an ad for an online dating site geared towards readers of Scientific American. scimeet.org or something. I didn't know whethere to be delighted or appalled that such a thing exists.

posted by Chelonia on January 21, 2004 at 04:46 PM

Bryan, you're definitely cleared for higher level dating. Let's discuss these robots.

posted by Sarah B. on January 21, 2004 at 09:09 PM