Comments

My book club is reading Erica Jong's Fear of Flying this month, and I got a third into it and HATED IT, so I swapped it out for the Caitlin Moran book which I am immediately madly in love with. I figure, if I'm going to read some feminist lit, let's make it ENJOYABLE... not self-indulgent 1974 ramblings about menstrual cunnilingus.

posted by Ariel on September 4, 2012 at 09:26 PM

Yay!!! You make me laugh. So happy to see you appear in my Google Reader again. :)

posted by Megan Jones on September 4, 2012 at 11:42 PM

Ha ha - I love this post. I have no idea who Mindy Kaling is, but have no interest in reading her blog. Ever.

By the way, my copy of FRG has been on pre order for ages - I presume it's coming out in the UK a little later? Can't wait xx

posted by Katie on September 5, 2012 at 01:15 AM

Katie, I can bring you a copy of FRG when we come if you like. It seems only fair since you were the one who gave me Caitlin Moran!

posted by Sarah Brown on September 5, 2012 at 08:21 AM

This is the stuff, Sarah. Watch out for an email from me.

posted by Matt Petty on September 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

See, that was easy - 700 words. More, please.

posted by Brandon on September 5, 2012 at 12:13 PM

What do you and the Mr. do for a living? Besides have fabulous hair and listen to records? Wait, do people pay you for that? No fair.

posted by MissusB on September 5, 2012 at 05:42 PM

I do something boring and Nick does something fun. If you hear of any openings in this record/hair industry, please let us know.

Thanks for the nice comments! This was fun.

posted by Sarah Brown on September 5, 2012 at 08:28 PM

This was great. I've been wanting to check out Caitlin Moran's book and the Sarah Brown Seal of Approval has certainly helped.

posted by Christen on September 6, 2012 at 03:38 PM

I don't know what's happening in the blogging world but I've missed your writing and am glad to read anything you put out there. I live in a VERY small town in the upper peninsula of MI and look forward to your posts. I was having a dark day and it just got lighter. Thank you!

posted by nikki darrow on September 6, 2012 at 04:21 PM

YES to all of this. I had the same throw-the-book-across-the-room reaction only I couldn't because it was on my Kindle.

Adding How to Be a Woman to my To Read list now!

PS: I was so happy to see this post in my Greader today.

posted by Jennie on September 6, 2012 at 04:57 PM

Oh, man. I think my feelings about Wendy McClure, author of The Wilder Life (an in-depth telling of one woman's obsession with Laura Ingalls Wilder), are pretty much on par with your feelings about Caitlin Moran. Of course, you've got to be nutty for the Little House books in order to have special feelings for Ms. McClure, but I happen to fall into that category. Only the Little House books, though. That Little House t.v. show nonsense is straight bullshit.

But here's a question for you that I often ponder about myself: Are you Mary Anne, Kristy, Claudia, or Stacey? (I am leaving Dawn out of this.)

posted by Elizabeth on September 6, 2012 at 10:45 PM

Hello there! I've really missed your writing!

posted by Alice on September 7, 2012 at 07:40 AM

Thank you Nikki, that's really nice to hear.

Hello Alice!

Elizabeth, when I was of Babysitters Club age, I think I was a Mary Anne with Stacey aspirations. I liked to think I was Claudia because we both did art and had grandmothers named Mimi who lived with us, but I was a great speller and had horrible skin, so that was just a pipe dream. What about you?

posted by Sarah Brown on September 7, 2012 at 08:13 AM

I felt the same way about the Mindy Kailing book. Oy!

I love your tumblr, but love this blog too. Good to have you back, even if it is only temporary for now.

Also I love the comments. I had Claudia pipe dreams too.

posted by Valerie L on September 7, 2012 at 12:35 PM

You mentioned on your tumblr (tumbled?) recently that blogging was dead. Would you expand on that here? I think I agree with you. In lieu of that, what just really bugs you? I miss a good old Sarah B. rant.

posted by natasha on September 7, 2012 at 01:43 PM

A Mary Anne with Stacey aspirations is a fairly spot-on representation of me as well. However, since I am half-Asian, I always identified with Claudia (her terrible spelling and dislike of schoolwork aside, since I was enough of a Mary Anne to actually like schoolwork, and when, in one book, Claudia's sister spent a great deal of time studying the Baby-sitter's Club sign and wondering if they utilized the proper punctuation, I totally understood why she thought it might be an important clarification). Interestingly, when I outgrew the Baby-sitters Club, I got really into skateboarding and Jello Biafra, two things I don't imagine any of the Baby-sitters Club ladies ever taking a shine to.

posted by Elizabeth on September 7, 2012 at 01:47 PM

Elizabeth, I think you and I would be friends.

posted by Sarah Brown on September 9, 2012 at 02:28 PM

There's a new trailer out for Lincoln. Thoughts? http://slog.thestranger.com/slog/archives/2012/09/13/what-do-you-think-of-the-lincoln-trailer

posted by sprizee on September 13, 2012 at 08:00 PM

You know what, Sarah Brown? I kind of think so, too.

posted by Elizabeth on September 14, 2012 at 02:17 PM

Hey Sarah Brown. Why didn't I drop you a line when you were in England and suffering your year of waiting/wishing? I was wishing/waiting in London too, for different things. You kept me company. I should have returned the favor. Regrets, I have a few.

posted by MadHiker on September 17, 2012 at 04:26 PM

Hey MadHiker, what were you wishing/waiting for back then?

posted by Sarah Brown on September 19, 2012 at 07:12 PM

Well, first I was wishing/waiting for my child to exit my body, and then I was waiting/wishing for my husband to come back from a 9 mo. stint in the U.S. Given that we were all born in different countries, I was also enjoying a larger-than-is-humane share of immigration paperwork. It was a harsh winter, wasn't it?

Stay funny Sarah Brown. Don't change for anyone!

posted by MadHiker on September 20, 2012 at 02:30 PM