Comments

I can't wait for these book reviews.

The green-card thing is very accurate (and, it goes without saying, humorous). I live in Colorado but come from New Zealand, and when I renewed my conditional visa two years ago and paid $500 (consequent to the $1,000 I paid in 2007), I kind of thought that Barack Obama himself should have signed it in smudgeable ink.

Yay you guys! And thank God this is over. Now you can relax (until you change your address, which you have to report to Homeland Security within ten days of the move. Yeah.) So ... happy relaxing!

posted by leila on February 27, 2012 at 12:42 AM

Nick now has license to be the horrible American tourist when visiting Europe or, fun overload, his native realm (e.g. stand in the middle of the rabble at Kings Cross, look up at the schedule boards, and yell, 'HOW DO I GET TO WORCESTERSHIRE!', but pronounce it war-chester-shire.

posted by You can call me. 'Sir' on February 27, 2012 at 09:15 AM

Chris McKenzie has that same American flag hooodie.

posted by Tracie on February 27, 2012 at 10:50 AM

That IS McKenzie's hoodie... click on the picture.

posted by Sarah on February 27, 2012 at 11:05 AM

Congrats to Nick on finally getting his Green Card. Unfortunately for me, I've seen that film, and I must strongly recommend you avoid it at all costs, it is utter shit. Hope that helps!

posted by Alicey on February 27, 2012 at 11:20 AM

Congratulations! Super news. True dat about the music thing. I decided the difference between Cassie's taste and mine is that she likes songs, while I like sounds.

At least you sound excited about Nick getting the card. My own recent similar post managed to make it sound tedious. http://petty.me.uk/?p=2307

posted by Matt Petty on February 27, 2012 at 12:41 PM

Thanks for working hard to improve this country. It's been a pretty disappointing decade, but this is good news :D

posted by norm on February 28, 2012 at 05:57 PM

As an immigration officer, thanks for doing everything the legal and correct way. And yes, we do know that the immigration laws are totally screwed up and cumbersome. But that's what Congress gave us to work with. Glad you are impressed with the new cards! But you didn't say, did he get grape or rootbeer?

As an FYI, if and when Nick is ready to apply for citizenship, we won't pass him on his history and government test just because he is wearing that sweater.

posted by MissusB on February 28, 2012 at 09:54 PM

Thanks, MissusB! I wish I knew about you three months ago when we had all kinds of green card questions!

posted by Sarah on February 28, 2012 at 10:59 PM

In my defense, your posting has been, well...a little light for the last year. But let me know if you have any questions and I will do what I can to answer them.

posted by MissusB on February 29, 2012 at 09:46 PM

You guys are awesome. Congrats again on the green card!!

posted by DearWendyAdvice on March 2, 2012 at 01:15 PM

Hi, read your blog since you started, but never commented before... Anyway, I am married to a Brit as well. We hit the 2 year mark and are in the process of having the green card conditions lifted. Yeah, so, not so much like the horrible movie "Green Card" AT ALL!!!! Lots of stress before, then wondering what was so stressful after. We married April of 2009, got the green card Dec. of 2009, and did the filing again in Sept. of this year. Learns: ice lolly, prawn and cocktail sauce crips, lucazaid, how to make the perfect Yorkshire Pudding, and introducing him to WalMart. Anyway, from someone who has been there, done that - Congrats and Best Wishes.

posted by Becky J on March 2, 2012 at 06:04 PM

Oh, and PS: yeah, totally not excited about Mindy Kaling's book or Tina Fey's - they were kind of.... trite? Haven't tried the Abe Lincoln book yet.

posted by Becky J on March 2, 2012 at 06:07 PM

Congrats on the green card. :) And I'm glad you're writing here again. ♥

posted by Val on March 3, 2012 at 01:33 PM

YAY for Nick. And YAY for us that you're posting again!

posted by Miss K on March 12, 2012 at 10:09 PM

Dear Sarah B.,

I'd read anything you write for us on the interwebs. You're one of my faves! Keep posting!

posted by Jane on March 19, 2012 at 11:20 PM