Comments

The 4am world seems completely uninhabited and is the best "alone" time I've ever found. I suppose that's why I'm awake until at least that time nearly every night. The sixty minutes between 3am and 4am are always my favorite time of day.

I'm glad to know I've got good company!

posted by Dana on September 27, 2007 at 12:41 AM

Welcome to my world! Four am has been my bedtime for quite awhile now. My old lady considers it a "success" if she can get me to stay up until 5.

posted by Barrett on September 27, 2007 at 12:44 AM

I so that too, the pisser is i have a lil' pisser who needs food and whatnot at 8am and i have slept for 2 houra. Hey, its only 2am here. Early to bed baby!

xoxoxoxoxo

posted by jenB on September 27, 2007 at 04:09 AM

4am in NY is 9am in London. Next time you stay up so late, think of us poor sods on the Tube. It's funny how alone one can feel in such a big world.
It's also funny how the colours of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on a screen, but that's 4am thinking.

posted by Matt on September 27, 2007 at 08:27 AM

I have to agree that the wee hours are the best. But I'm not crazy about VW encouraging people to just take an unneccesary drive.

posted by be OH be on September 27, 2007 at 08:44 AM

For years I stayed up hours and hours past the family's bedtime. I never went to bed till after Letterman, and sometimes would stay up till 2 or 3, and then be back up at 6 to get the kiddies to school. My husband could never figure out how I survived, but I found I couldn't survive without it.

Now that I'm working, I just can't keep up with those hours, and I miss them. I feel like I just work and sleep. It sucks.

posted by Candy on September 27, 2007 at 09:33 AM

"you can make decisions while the sun is down, but don’t ever act on them until after it comes up."

that's a damn good rule. A corollary that I use is if I wake up in the middle of the night with some brilliant idea, there's a 98% chance it's going to sound ridiculous come morning.

posted by j.william on September 27, 2007 at 09:52 AM

YES. So many yesses. Me too. I freelance write and edit from home now, and my home also happens to be abroad (in Rome--so, in a non-English speaking country where I know no one but my boyfriend), so I'm with the same one person all the time, and I love him but holy JESUS did I never realize how much I needed my alone time. Music and a cup or a glass of something and my wide open windows and NO ONE NEAR ME.

Only you and I are different in that I don't mind the early morning light, largely because I know that the only time I'll ever see it is if stay up for it. And here in Rome, leaning out my windows in the early early morning is probably the most perfectly lovely, happy feeling I've ever had in my whole life. For weeks this summer, I couldn't get to bed before 5 or 6 a.m. 4 was too perfect to go to sleep yet, since the air was finally cool and sometimes I'd glimpse a cat prowling under and between the cars. But then 5 was about when the sun started to rise through the haze and the ochre buildings started to glow and the random scooter or dogwalker passed in the street below. 6 was about when the seagulls started their commute above, talk talk talking to each other.

And 7 is about when the garbage trucks started their clatter and racket, so it's best to not be trying to get to sleep right then...

posted by no name slob on September 27, 2007 at 01:11 PM

I like to sleep at night, and get up at 5, rested, with my alone time.

posted by All Adither on September 27, 2007 at 05:59 PM

I feel the same way, except that I relish the first moments of light.

posted by Lisa on September 27, 2007 at 10:16 PM

That commercial uses part of the score from the film Solaris. It is one of my favorite scores ever. Every time I hear it, I get chills (in a good way). Great choice for that ad.

posted by Laura on September 28, 2007 at 12:13 AM

When I stay up all night I feel like I've lost something I can never get back.

posted by All Adither on September 28, 2007 at 11:11 PM

God, I hate you for not having to go to work in the morning anymore. Really no I don't, but yes I do.

posted by EV on September 30, 2007 at 03:50 PM

Early morning peacefulness is invaluable. I get up extra early to walk during sunrise (which is now only about 7am- damn winter daylight hours). That quiet is so soothing.
That commercial is wonderful. I have never seen it before, and it may be the only commercial I actually seek out to watch again.

posted by KG on September 30, 2007 at 08:11 PM

The decision rule is priceless, unlike all the shit I've nearly purchased online between 2:30 and 4:30 in the morning.

posted by Terroni on October 2, 2007 at 07:42 PM

I'm often a 4 am person too but not always intentionally.

posted by WendyB on October 3, 2007 at 10:44 AM

i always wonder why we don t do it the other way..
i mean wake up at 4 after a decent sleep...

guess its too tough to do...

posted by fc on October 3, 2007 at 12:47 PM

I often have insomnia, so I know what it's like to up that late as well. Although I took this new job which involves having to get up at 6, so usually if I'm up at late, I'm pretty panicked and popping pills to go to sleep...

posted by teahouseblossom on October 5, 2007 at 05:44 PM

My favorite time of day is when the sun is just beginning to break. I live near a store with a bakery so early morning you can smell the rising bread as you step outside and it's the best thing in the world.

I make lots of promises and decisions to myself this time of day. And I'm lucky if I make do on any of them.

posted by Chauncey on October 18, 2007 at 04:26 AM

I am reading this at 4:43 AM and you have just convinced me to go to bed already. Thank you!

posted by lsaspacey on November 14, 2007 at 04:45 AM