Comments

you just spoke to my SOUL.

posted by b on September 20, 2007 at 03:12 PM

You, madam, are the meaning in my life.

Best post since the one about the guy trying to sell you some "lady" liquor, which had you pondering Jon Arbuckle's inbred cousin ...

BTW, I dated this guy. I did. When I was 16. And he actually threatened suicide -- so crushingly romantic!! O god.

posted by Gleemonex on September 20, 2007 at 03:50 PM

YES and thank you.

posted by j on September 20, 2007 at 04:15 PM

He sounds a little like Llyod Dobler. At least, the steering wheel part.

I always get a crush on the smart ass. Man, woman, child, whatever. You are a smart ass, I am sold.

posted by Em on September 20, 2007 at 04:22 PM

Misfits guy is definitely not Lloyd Dobbler. Who I also love, but apples and oranges.

posted by Sarah Brown on September 20, 2007 at 04:25 PM

I have that, but I call mine Smashing Pumpkins guy.

posted by Jenn Kane on September 20, 2007 at 05:00 PM

Blasphemy!

posted by Sarah Brown on September 20, 2007 at 05:04 PM

That was amazing.

It's now my resolution to get a guy to clench-jaw cry over me before the year is through.

posted by joey on September 20, 2007 at 06:21 PM

"clenched-jaw cries and punches his steering wheel "- awesome, totally made me laugh.

my sister (4 yrs my elder) told me about this kid she went to h.s. with who wore a Cramps T-shirt everyday. How she wondered if it was the same one or if he just had 30 of them.

I had a secret crush on him and always wanted to find him one day. Even though I have no idea what the cramps sound like- that kind of an obsession with a band just thrills me.

posted by liz on September 20, 2007 at 06:29 PM

Yeah, I think it was just the clenched crying steering wheel part that made me think Lloyd. "You just broke up with me" and all that.

posted by Em on September 20, 2007 at 07:28 PM

You write beautifully, but I'm sure you hear that a lot. I'm still stuck on Ramones and Converse. I'm not quite sure I'll ever outgrow it.

posted by Lisa on September 20, 2007 at 08:35 PM

Girl, you'll be a woman soon.

posted by anne on September 21, 2007 at 02:23 AM

Classic!
You are the new Molly Ringwald.

posted by walktrotcanter on September 21, 2007 at 09:22 AM

And still it always ends in tears. Just once, can't it end with happy puppies doing backflips into a pool full of cotton candy? Is that really too much to ask?

posted by You can call me, 'Sir' on September 21, 2007 at 09:56 AM

I hate to tell you this, but your relationship fantasy will probably always be stuck in your teen years...

posted by Theron on September 21, 2007 at 12:29 PM

...but that's not necessarily a bad thing.

posted by Theron on September 21, 2007 at 12:31 PM

I'm exactly that same way! Only with Kenny Loggins "Live at the Redwoods" t-shirts. So maybe it's not really the same.

posted by Erin on September 21, 2007 at 02:56 PM

That just made me love you. And it's not the early evening vodka taking. Just me.

posted by Laura from Pa on September 21, 2007 at 07:55 PM

As Rob Sheffield says... my life was a mix tape too. And holy crap how did you crawl into my brain and pull out that little secret fantasy from 1987?

posted by aimee/greeblemonkey on September 23, 2007 at 11:22 AM

i hope i always have frivolous crushes as a high school version of myself. :)

posted by Jonathon Morgan on September 23, 2007 at 03:10 PM

I'm going to help you get past this one by dressing our nascent male child in an oversized misfits onesie, then sending you a picture of him crying like a fucking baby.

then we'll move on to dopey, lanky, malkmusian types circa 1994.

posted by jdg on September 23, 2007 at 04:17 PM

thanks lisa! glad there's still something ofr us ramones and chucks guys... even if sarah broke my heart, again

posted by ctrent on September 23, 2007 at 05:02 PM

Once I move onto Malkmus guy, it's no fun anymore, because then I'm just one guy behind where I am in real life.

posted by Sarah Brown on September 23, 2007 at 10:23 PM

Sarah, I LOVE the concept of the mini-crush based on t-shirts - except, as a Mom of sons who would wear almost ANY t-shirt, I hate the thought of you wasting a crush on fraud! My advice: Don't ever confirm - just continue to fantasize!

posted by Julia on September 24, 2007 at 10:00 AM

In my defense, I am a couple of years younger and had no awesome older siblings to light the path. If a guy liked SP, or looked like Billy Corgan, I probably had a crush. (It's surprisingly difficult to find somewhat attractive bald teenagers though. I sublimated my bald lust by crushing on Captain Jean-Luc Picard, Phil Collins and Powder from the film Powder.)

posted by Jenn on September 24, 2007 at 10:40 AM

oooooohhhhh... swooon...

posted by Jason on September 24, 2007 at 12:28 PM

Oh man, I'm like that about Jordan Catalano Coat Guy -- you know, the boy with the longish floppy hair in one of those corduroy jackets with a shearling collar. I even made Sean try one on the other day even though he was all "what is this, 1995?"

posted by Nothing But Bonfires on September 24, 2007 at 01:17 PM

You know what would make me crush even faster than that? Guy in Misfits shirt, but it's this Misfits.

posted by EV on September 25, 2007 at 04:28 PM

Oh crap, the html didn't work in my other comment, so you're like, "whatever". Anyway, the "this" was supposed to link to a picture of the Misfits, nemesis band to the Holograms. Sorry, Pizzazz.

posted by EV on September 25, 2007 at 10:15 PM

Sarah, you know I'm on the same page with this.

And, Misfits era-Glenn Danzig = HOT. Would not mind knocking into the headboard with a tiny Italian guy in a lace blouse + skeleton gloves.

posted by Millie on September 26, 2007 at 04:17 PM

Just curious, what do you consider to be the top five books that influenced you as a writer? Also, what are the top five books that inspired you as a writer?

posted by Lauren on September 26, 2007 at 05:50 PM

Nobody makes me laugh out loud quite the way you do, Miss Brown.

posted by Johnny on September 26, 2007 at 06:28 PM

OMG! That was hilarious. You totally described my high school boyfriend. He still has all his t-shirts and he's now 35.

posted by Jen on September 28, 2007 at 12:30 PM

I pretty much still end up dating this guy now. It's got it's good parts.

I still fantasize about the one in highschool.

posted by jami on October 5, 2007 at 04:14 PM

I was THIS close to buying tickets for a Misfits concert this weekend until things went downhill. Maybe I'll just get the shirt so girls will think I'm cool.

posted by Chauncey on October 18, 2007 at 04:21 AM