Comments

Fuck.

posted by g on March 26, 2007 at 02:13 AM

Whoa! I was thinking the mom and the baby were going to end up being the dolls in the drum.

posted by erika on March 26, 2007 at 09:47 AM

I do not like scary stories, so I read it half backwards hoping it wouldn't freak me out so much.

Um. That didn't work. Yikes.

posted by Em on March 26, 2007 at 10:27 AM

Full body goosebumps.

That was CREEPY!!!

posted by Laura on March 26, 2007 at 11:23 AM

Damn gypsies and their stupid drums.

posted by You can call me, 'Sir' on March 26, 2007 at 11:38 AM

The story that always scared be because I thought it would really happen, was the one where the spider lays eggs in the girls cheek and then they hatch and crawl all over her. But the one the scared me the most, mostly because of the picture, was the Wolf Girl.

Thanks for the new blogs to read!

posted by Shannon on March 26, 2007 at 12:26 PM

Gotta tell ya, girl. You might not use your links page, but someone does. I get quite a few hits from you daily. :]

Now, I can't WAIT to read this story!

posted by mihow on March 26, 2007 at 01:06 PM

Yeah, that was scary. I am afraid of everything these days.

posted by mihow on March 26, 2007 at 01:10 PM

I second mihow, your links page is a crucial portal for my self esteem, so don't take it down, or at least don't take me off it :). Now onto the scaries.

posted by EV on March 26, 2007 at 01:33 PM

Sorry, I don't see it. Maybe I just don't find glass eyes and wooden tails that scary.

posted by J on March 26, 2007 at 03:12 PM

I hate to be a "hard ass" but that did NOTHING for me.

I think I read too many RL Stein books as akid.

posted by Em on March 26, 2007 at 03:52 PM

huzzah to Alvin Schwartz; stories like that help us to raise our children with a healthy fear of gypsies.

posted by dutch from sweet juniper on March 26, 2007 at 04:33 PM

I just read that story recently, except it was called The New Mother, and it was written by Lucy Lane Clifford in 1882. Details are different, though. It's interesting to see how stories evolve and become sort of general folklore.

posted by Emily on March 26, 2007 at 07:04 PM

You told me about this story and I read it when I worked at the library and it totally gave me the heebie jeebis for the rest of the day. Therefore I am not reading it ever again.

posted by elb on March 26, 2007 at 10:38 PM

I'm easily freaked out, and I was expecting something really scary, but that didn't do it for me. Phew. Maybe I'll think about it later in bed, and it'll spook me out then.

posted by Jenny on March 27, 2007 at 12:52 AM

I believe I'm going to start using the line about going away and sending in New Mom with Glass Eye and Wooden Tail. I'll probably add something about a screaming knife-wielding outie navel for effect...

posted by Angela on March 27, 2007 at 05:34 AM

Mihow - I was, for real, in a class with a girl who had spiders hatch out of her cheek mole. 4th grade. EVERYONE freaked out.

posted by erika on March 27, 2007 at 08:42 AM

Yeah ok, I must have been put through some kind of creepy story desensitization program as a toddler, because that didn't really get me. Or maybe it's because my mom has a glass eye and a wooden tail.

posted by EV on March 27, 2007 at 10:21 AM

oh, i totally had that book when i was a kid & had forgotten all about that story! wow. have you read "outside over there," by maurice sendak? i tried for years to figure out what i was remembering as the creepy goblin/baby book from my elementary school library, until i saw it on someone's amazon list a few years back. thank god for the internet, no?

posted by melanie on March 27, 2007 at 05:50 PM

That's pretty good. But for me there's nothing worse than Owl at Home by Arnold Lobel.

posted by aleya on March 27, 2007 at 08:54 PM

So I don't really like scary stories/movies so I didn't want to read that. I therefore just read the last line. I am still freaked out and more confused than I am everyday in organic chemistry. And I'm home alone without my dog. Thanks Sarah.

(c;

posted by Becca Boo on March 27, 2007 at 09:45 PM

I'm totally too chicken to click on that link. Because, mostly, I'm scared shitless of scary shit. And, secondly, if I click on it, I'll have to read it.

posted by Jason Rathbun on March 28, 2007 at 11:42 AM

I had no idea sweet juniper existed. Now I have something pleasant to do with my work day. thank you.

posted by amanda on March 28, 2007 at 05:56 PM

I like how the last person who commented on the story is absolutely having none of it. And by "it," I refer both to a playful suspension of disbelief and grammar.

posted by sarah c on March 28, 2007 at 06:03 PM

(referring to the comments on the story at the warphead site, not here, by the way)

posted by sarah c on March 28, 2007 at 06:04 PM