Comments

i'd call you darlin' and nothin' else

posted by ctrent on March 4, 2007 at 09:00 PM

I've always secretly wanted to be called sunshine.

posted by Kate on March 4, 2007 at 10:31 PM

my ex (and still best freind) would wake me up every morning to "good morning sunshine"...mostly because "sunshine" is the last thing i am in the morning. But i really loved it. he also used to call me "my little grapefruit" in french, and that would get me too. Now, he just says "hey bitch". And, i'm ok with that.

posted by Kris on March 5, 2007 at 01:02 AM

They Might Be Giants sing:

You gave me a pet name
Which is not to say I like it
We met at a party
Not to say I was invited

You said love was just a lie
But I could tell that you were lying
And we almost figured out how we'd get along
And given time we'd find it strange to be alone and

You work in a hotel
At the magazine concession
Back in just five minutes
Reads the sign above your station

Slip your profits in a bag
And you're looking up to the hour hand
And we almost figured out how we'll get along
And given time we'll find it strange to be alone and

You just forgot your one pet name for me
And all those promises you said you'd keep
And it's a lucky thing
Because that sentimental stuff
Doesn't suit you
At all

Waiting at the bus stop
For just about an hour
Strategies for hangman
Cat's cradle, origami

You say I'm OK for a guy
But I can tell that you are lying
And we've almost figured out how we'll get along
And given time we'll find it strange to be alone and

You just forgot your one pet name for me
And all those promises you said you'd keep
And it's a lucky thing
Because that sentimental stuff
Doesn't

You just forgot your one pet name for me
And all those promises you said you'd keep
And it's a lucky thing
Because that sentimental stuff
Doesn't suit you
At all

posted by summerdragon on March 5, 2007 at 02:36 AM

What funny timing for your post. Our baby girl was born just about two weeks ago, and I've been on a search for the right pet name. As I hold her, names have been popping out spontaneously -- Sweetie, Sweet pea, Buttercup, Angel. None has really fit her yet, but the one I find myself using the most is "Darlin". I don't know where it came from, but there it is. She seems ok with it, so far.

posted by Daniel Sroka on March 5, 2007 at 07:00 AM

never thought about it, but i quite love darlin' too.

posted by Laura on March 5, 2007 at 10:44 AM

My ex was from Baltimore. He had a southern accent which is weird but everyone from that certain area of Baltimore had this accent. He used to call me darlin' all the time, and every time he said it it made me giggle and blush. I felt like the most special person on Earth. That's a powerful word. Now "darlin'" is just part of my vocabulary. Trust me-calling people darlin' is also fun.

posted by Sarah on March 5, 2007 at 11:12 AM

I always wanted someone to call me dahling like Cary Grant and Kate Hepburn.

posted by melissa on March 5, 2007 at 11:23 AM

I find myself using 'dolly' when I really, really like someone.

posted by aliastaken on March 5, 2007 at 03:45 PM

Funny, the guy I just started seeing calls me darlin' and I lurve it. I call people dahling when I'm being a bit melodramatic or funny.

posted by generation next on March 5, 2007 at 04:17 PM

At first, I thought you said being called baby was a little genetic.

posted by Lauren on March 5, 2007 at 06:37 PM

My older brother used to call me darlin when I was younger and I loved it. I too felt so special when he said it.

posted by nahanni on March 5, 2007 at 07:04 PM

I like that post there, darlin. "Sweetheart" has been a long-time favorite in either direction.

posted by Johnny on March 5, 2007 at 08:15 PM

my birth father would call me bub and i'd cringe whenever he or anyone else would say it... now, the guy i'm seeing calls me bub and i like it. he's erased the "ick" factor from it! yay!

i got used to being called darlin' by people when i was in the US. you more often get "darl" or "love" here in Australia.

posted by charm on March 5, 2007 at 09:09 PM

Darlin baby pookums snugglebunny, I want a divorce.

posted by count frickin arsehole von bismarck on March 5, 2007 at 10:16 PM

My ex-boyfriend got genuinely, sweetly, happy when I called him "Sweetheart." Isn't it weird, the things that affect us. He called me baby and I miss it and hate that I miss it...BLAH. When we talk it's still really weird to hear him call me by my actual name, which might be one of the reasons I don't like talking to him so much.

posted by laurie on March 5, 2007 at 10:26 PM

My Dad calls people darlin, and it's the most charming god damned thing you'll ever hear. The meaning can change any number of different ways, depending on how he says it, but it'll warm your heart every time.

posted by onebravegirl on March 5, 2007 at 11:03 PM

My husband and I call each other "Pea." God, it's so fucking sweet it makes me get all giggly and bubbly just looking at the word.

posted by TeenSleuth on March 5, 2007 at 11:43 PM

Down here in Texas, men call women "darlin'" and "sweetie" all the time, and it's rarely an issue...but occasionally a woman will take offense to it and we have to realize that we might be slightly out of step with the rest of the country. But I don't mind - I like being outta step...

posted by Theron on March 6, 2007 at 10:13 AM

you just aint been called sugar by somebody that meant it. that knows how. you got to draw that word out like a honeysuckle stem.
that drop on the end as full of suuugar and perfume, it's filling as a four course meal.
concentration. that's it.
if he says it right, and holds your eyes?
draw them corpuscles up.
all that red and warm to the surface.
and then your clothes fit funny.

dahlin.

posted by redclay on March 7, 2007 at 12:46 AM

I also like darlin'. But you're right, you can't force the issue. I've tried.

A friend of mine always wanted to be called Tea Rose, but she couldn't get anyone to do it. In the end, I started calling her Tea Rose just to make her feel better. I even put her in my phone as Tea Rose. I don't know if it helped.

posted by Nothing But Bonfires on March 7, 2007 at 12:32 PM

I have always secretly longed for someone to tell me that I'm the most from coast to coast, but I can't for the life of me find a way to delicately hint about that one.

Since I've become a mother, I've noticed that I call everyone "sweet names" all of the time, which might sound false or fakey, but it's a genuine extension of recognizing that we are all, on some level, someone's darlin'.

I hate the term "Baby" though, it almost always sounds forced to me.

posted by Emily on March 7, 2007 at 12:37 PM

I call my daughter "baby." She's almost 6. I went on a trip with my husband about a month ago, and after I got off the phone with my daughter, he asked me "How long have you been calling her BABY?" "Um. Since she WAS one." Got the impression he'd like me to stop sometime before she leaves for college.

posted by jennifer on March 10, 2007 at 05:21 PM

Bob calls me "sweet baby" or "kiddo" which I like for some reason.

My daddy calls me "Patootie" and I don't think anyone else could ever call me that.

posted by Em on March 14, 2007 at 03:56 PM