Comments

The Husband and I eloped. The only thing I regret about that day is that we caved and let my mother and his mother come along. If I could do it again, I would have apologized and then done it without them.

posted by Monkee on March 1, 2007 at 08:33 PM

Why don't people just elope to Vegas? Elvis impersonators are so much fun.

posted by Lauren on March 1, 2007 at 09:52 PM

Oh man, if I were there, with you cats, I'd be the happiest lady on the East Coast.

posted by helenjane on March 1, 2007 at 11:22 PM

this is pretty much off topic by now.. but bruce mccollough did a cd? the kid in the hall? i met him in indiana once; stayed in the same hotel as kith after the show of theirs i went to see. met him & dave & scott at the hotel bar. bruce was very short, and very, very high. i hope.

love the vag.

and i hear ya; i wanna get married someday, but i'm not so sure about all that wedding business.

posted by stacey on March 1, 2007 at 11:56 PM

Got married when I was 20. Not because I wanted to be a child bride, but rather kicking-and-screamingly (my next thought after saying "yes" was "Ohmigod! How do I get out of THIS?) but went through with it anyway because I KNEW this was THE MAN FOR ME. 16 years later, I'd still have to agree with that statement, so I guess it worked out okay. About the wedding... It's much more fun if you're sort of a guy about it. I put my mom in charge and told her I didn't want to know any of the details. I didn't really care about all the frou frou stuff. I just wanted to show up, eat cake & have a party. It was a lot of fun telling her, "Whatever you think. I trust you." Made her INSANE. But I had a blast, and that was a very cool thing.

posted by Jennifer on March 2, 2007 at 12:36 AM

I'm phobic about having my own wedding. The idea of all that planning scares (or maybe just annoys) the shit out of me. I'm the maid of honor in my sister's wedding out of a sense of obligation to her. And the free booze.

posted by Kris on March 2, 2007 at 02:26 AM

I'm getting married in June, and I still feel like a failure for not bitching hard enough for an elopment. I'm with you on the party thing, but planning my wedding has made me want to run away somewhere (with my dog), change my name, and forget I have a family and fiance.

posted by Alexandrialeigh on March 2, 2007 at 07:34 AM

Agreed. Eloping sounds like a fantastic idea. What time shall I pick you up?

posted by You can call me, 'Sir' on March 2, 2007 at 09:46 AM

Marriage is great, but guaranteed sex? Ha. You're funny...

posted by Theron on March 2, 2007 at 10:12 AM

Let me plan your wedding, SB! And the honeymoon, too. I'm really good at both.

posted by pattipants on March 2, 2007 at 10:24 AM

Tobyjoe and I eloped as well. We went to Niagara Falls, just the two of us. We threw a party later in DC for our friends and family. It was great and I got to bypass all that dressing up and being the center of attention stuff I hate so much. For me, I simply could not justify spending 20+ (or more) on one night. I would rather have that money for down payment on a house or just to blow on booze and hookers.

I might try and make it out to The Lucky Cat since it's in my hood. Too bad I can't have a drink while there, however.

posted by mihow on March 2, 2007 at 10:30 AM

Could I agree with you more? Um...no.

posted by misstraceynolan on March 2, 2007 at 12:21 PM

I am with you and 'wedding' for me means a big party and some sweet shoes. Other than that I could care less for the rest of the trappings.

posted by mg on March 2, 2007 at 01:56 PM

How did Laura end up dating a guy from Denmark??!

I'm going to be teaching over there for 2 months next fall. =)

posted by Abby in MASS on March 2, 2007 at 04:35 PM

As you know, I did the whole big (though relatively unfancy) wedding thing when I was a wee 23, which is why the next one is going to be all city hall, baby. Maybe with a sundae bar after. Anyway, one of my friends walked in to "Final Countdown" and had her dog as a bridesmaid complete with matching dress, so I'm all for that kind of thing.

posted by EV on March 2, 2007 at 05:59 PM

You're invited to my wedding. I'm kind of one of the crazy lady brides, minus fighting with my mom - she doesn't care, as long as the grandkids start popping out. ha ha

posted by Andrea on March 2, 2007 at 11:02 PM

i'm getting married at the end of this month. i feel about it the way you do, sarah, and while there has been some motherly tension (mostly with his), it's turning out to be the party we want. we're serving fried chicken and getting married in an old factory. elopement was much discussed, but i just was too afraid of regretting not seeing all the shining faces of everyone we love there. this website helped a LOT: www.indiebride.com

posted by jessica on March 2, 2007 at 11:26 PM

if feel as though i should also add that i have not set foot into a single "bridal" establishment since i got engaged. yay for me!

posted by jessica on March 2, 2007 at 11:37 PM

Speaking of life-saver-for-a-dollar ... my sister's friends gave her a candy necklace at her bachelorette party and they ended up making $150. Guys were throwing down twenties. It was crazy. By the end of the night, one of her friends was ready to quit her job and start candy-necklacing full-time. Thankfully, she was really drunk and forgot about it by morning.

posted by Laura on March 3, 2007 at 12:23 AM

I'm a big fan of AMS' book also -- if I got married this would be my bible. (And I have the swag to with it!)

Have fun being Laura's maid of honor -- my younger sis is getting married in 6 weeks and I'm the MoH as well. She's already being a little bridezilla by telling me I have to change my hair color back to brown (it's usually red) for her wedding. Urgghh.

posted by Sara on March 3, 2007 at 07:46 PM

Even if this was your reception?

posted by Jessica from AZ on March 4, 2007 at 11:13 AM

I had the best wedding EVER, we got married near where both our mom's lived, so we just wrote checks, picked out some colors and laid down a few ground rules (like limiting the guests to around 60 people), then let our Moms take care of the whole thing. We just showed up, got married, ate some food, had a dance and then took off for the honeymoon. The wedding's not the important part, the getting married is!

posted by kellyjeanne on March 4, 2007 at 12:52 PM

Ha! I wrote almost this exact same post a few days ago...

posted by the slackmistress on March 5, 2007 at 10:59 PM

1. You will fight with your mother. Your only choice in the matter is whether to use words or fists.

2. A big party is great. But not so much for your wedding day. The smaller you can make it, the closer you're getting to the meat of the matter. We had 13 people, including us and the photog. Perfect day. Held a big party months before, and also after, so we got it all.

3. You will hate your wedding with all your heart until the day arrives, at which time it will become the best day ever. Afterwards, you will capitalize on your God-given right to tell other people how to conduct their weddings, but not without mentioning that it could never compare to the heaven-blessed orgasmic splendor of your special day.

posted by TeenSleuth on March 6, 2007 at 12:03 AM

Sarah Brown, we are more alike than I think either one of us could have ever imagined...

posted by Becca Boo on March 12, 2007 at 01:47 PM

I've read your blog for a long time and never commented.
My husband and I eloped, had a honeymoon, and then went back home and threw a big party. It was great because we still got all the presents and friends but didn't have to incorporate the stress of the party into our wedding day: that was just about us.

posted by Mackenzie on March 13, 2007 at 02:14 PM

I agree with Theron on this. Getting married for sex? Nope. Scalp massages??? Only happen if you're the one GIVING them. And I'm happily married for 8 (mostly) wonderful years. But get married for bill sharing, not the other stuff. True love is valid too, but not sex and scalp massages.

posted by Christine Wy on March 28, 2007 at 04:01 PM